History

THE HISTORY OF THE ROYAL GLEN HOTEL

It was circa 1700 that the Royal Glen was built by a Mr King, of Bath.

It was then a modest farmhouse with a dairy, outhouses, a hayloft and a well that still exists in the centre of the house.

It was first known as King's Cottage, taking the name of the owner. Many other names followed, Woolbrook Cottage, Woolbrook Glen, and finally as The Royal Glen.

The house was converted from the original into Regency splendour with delightful castellated pediments, tent-roofed veranda and Gothic casements complete with painted drip-moulds.

Queen Victoria spent her first Christmas here in 1819, during her visit a young boy in the fields shooting birds accidentally fired a shot which passed through the nursery window.  Unfortunately her father the Duke of Kent caught a chill whilst at Woolbrook Cottage and died here.

 Today the Royal Coat of Arms is proudly shown at the front of the building made of wood, it was at first thought that these arms would have been installed in the 1930s as pictures at this time show it in place. During a renovation in 1995, it was found to have an inscription on the back which reads J.R.Anderson, carver, 1879.

Above the Front Porch is the commemorative plaque erected to celebrate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. There are 2 photographs in the hotel of the local townspeople marking the occasion.

In 1883 it first became a boarding house bought by the Misses Culverwell and so began the ownership with connections to the existing family today.

Our timeline

Contact Us

Book Online